Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Attack of the Podcasting

A podcast is a recording made by grown men to share their profound love of all things nerdy. This wouldn’t be so bad, except for the fact that men like my husband download these podcasts, which only encourages the podcasters to make more. Podcasters will go on for hours analyzing comic books sales distributions, how many comics they ordered this week, or how they didn’t get everything from their pull lists at their local stores. My “favorite” podcasts are when a guy with a monotone voice reads his comic books!


I usually don’t have to listen to these, but my husband insists that he can’t sleep without the radio playing. This was okay when he used to listen to Radiohead, Weezer, or any other of his nerd-bands, but now it’s all podcasts! Before he goes to bed he sets up his podcast play list in Windows Media Player, and that process takes at least 30 minutes. Even though he’s only going to be asleep for about 8 hours, his play lists usually exceeds 20 hours. (One would think a nerd would be able to do basic math.) Because of these podcasts constantly playing when I try to sleep, I can’t get a good night’s rest. I’m jolted awake by the theme song from the “Uncanny X-Cast.” I have nightmares about Wednesday Comics. I toss and turn listening to debates about Viking #1. It’s bad enough that his hoards of comics have taken over our bedroom, but now they’re in my dreams too.

If you are ever asked if you want to listen to a podcast, get your earplugs ready.

1 comment: