Friday, August 28, 2009

“That’s how I Roll in the Shire”


Fortunately for me, my husband doesn’t care for The Lord of the Rings. I read The Hobbit when I was in high school because I used to take my math classes at a college and I had to carpool with two guys who loved Tolkien. I thought it would give us something to talk about because it took an hour to get to the campus from our high school. I even tried to read The Lord of the Rings, but I didn’t make it very far. Other than Uncle Tom’s Cabin, it is the only book I never finished reading.

Ash tried to read The Lord of the Rings when he was a teenager too, and he didn’t even make it as far as I did. When the first movie came out, we rented it. We tried to watch it, but got bored and went to get some burgers. When we got back, it was still playing! We tried to resume watching it, but we just couldn’t. I am so thankful that this is one geek-fad that Ash is not interested in at all.

The only thing I like about The Lord of the Rings is when the main character on the show The Big Bang Theory is dressed as a hobbit and proclaims, “That’s how I roll in the shire!”

2 comments:

  1. I tried to listen to the book on tape and wondered if it was written by the department of redundancy department. I fell asleep during the first movie, was dragged to the second and almost died because I fell asleep in the theater, top row with stadium seats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the "bored...got burgers...still playing" story. Made me laugh!

    My husband and I have an agreement that I am no longer allowed to attend any music-themed movie, esp. if it stars Bob Dylan (or has anything to do with Dylan).

    Every music-movie (not musical) we've attended is interminably long, and inevitably results in me slumping in my seat and huffing "can we go yet?" Of course, I huff VERY quietly...it's rude to talk during the movie.

    ReplyDelete