Sunday, September 6, 2009

Buffy the TV Show

According to Joss Whedon, “Into every generation a slayer is born.” The slayer he gave birth to is Buffy. My husband never watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer when it was on the air, but a friend of his got him hooked in college. There are many other Buffy properties, but I only want to address the television show for now so my head doesn’t explode in a fit of rage.
 
Buffy the Vampire Slayer lasted 7 grueling seasons. Even if your fanboy buys the entire series in the boxed set instead of each season on its own, you’re still going to lose a lot of storage space. He’s also going to want to watch all of the episodes, plus all of the bonus features. Days of your life will be sacrificed to this show. My recommendation is to pretend that this franchise doesn’t exist and hope he never takes an interest in it. If your fanboy already has a Buffy shrine, you have my sincerest sympathies.
  

  
This show is about a young woman who has super-demon powers that allow her to fight vampires. She also dates vampires occasionally. The show started when Buffy was in high school, and lasted through her brief attempt at college, her death, her resurrection, and her work at a fast food joint. Buffy’s sidekicks included a witch and a nerdy boy. I think fanboys like this show because they can identify with the nerdy boy, because he wanted to date Buffy but never did. Who knew that blondes with superpowers were so appealing?
   

2 comments:

  1. I was waiting for the Joss Whedon franchises to be popping up here. From what I hear...angel lasted more than one season. I hope we never have to endure it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bad news, I hear Joss is doing a new Buffy movie that's supposed to be what he originally intended with the first movie.

    ReplyDelete