Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Matrix

I remember hearing people talk about The Matrix when it was new and thinking, “Who would want to see a movie about math?” Perhaps the movie wouldn’t have been so bad if it really was just about math. My husband had a copy of it, and we watched it together when we first started dating. I should have run then, but I was young and in love.


The Matrix is a movie about Keanu Reeves, who may or may not be related to Steve Reeves. (Steve Reeves was a burly guy who was in a few bad Hercules movies decades ago.) Apparently, Keanu Reeves is a clever computer hacker who discovers that his life is a sham. He takes the DayQuil instead of the NyQuil pill and wakes up in a vat of goo. When he goes back to his sham life, he has to fight some bad guys and he has some superpowers. I heard a lot of people who found religious significance in this movie, like they found in The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.

This movie caused a fad when people would wear trench coats and bend over backwards. The Matrix also spawned a few sequels and cartoons.

3 comments:

  1. Awww the old VHS copy. I'm sure this holds sweet memories of your youth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this movie for the first time late at night in a hotel room on a business trip. I had worked 15 hours and was really tired when I watched it, but I remember that the ending was pretty cool. Many years later I was talking about it to someone and mentioned how awesome it was and they were like "what the heck are you talking about?" It turns out I fell asleep toward the end and made up my own ending. When I saw the real ending I was severely disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya kno, i've watched all the other ones, but i still haven't watched the first one...every time it came on, it was always at the same part when ever i started to watch it...i still wanna watch it, i'm just to lazy to make the effort to actually watch it...

    ReplyDelete