Friday, October 30, 2009

Tales from the Crypt Books

When I was a kid, I used to watch Tales from the Crypt on TV, and I had no idea that it was a comic. When my husband in the early stages of his comic addiction, he asked for the bound volumes of Tales from the Crypt for a gift. (If I would have known what a sickness this was going to turn into, I would have never ordered these books for him!)


This comic was published by Entertaining Comics back in the 1940s and 50s, but they had to stop publishing it due to censorship. Zombies and stories that included violence were apparently corrupting America’s youth, according to government. After the Comic Code was adopted, Tales from the Crypt disappeared. (I hate myself for knowing all of this.) Good thing they banned horror stories, because after that all the children in the United States grew up to be well-adjusted and wonderfully successful adults…

Compared to the TV show, the books aren’t that bad. They’re actually a little cheesy. They’re also a lot tamer than the comic books that are being published now!

No comments:

Post a Comment