Monday, November 2, 2009

How to Understand Comics

Scott McCloud wrote a book called Understanding Comics, which provides a long explanation of what comics are and how to understand them. Ash bought this book and encouraged me to read it. I bet he thought that if I read it I would be convinced that all comics are glorious and wonderful and go frolic to the comic book store! He was wrong.


After reading Understanding Comics, I learned about the history of comics and how they are put together. The entire book was presented like a comic, with panels and word balloons. It would make a good textbook if someone wanted to teach a class on comics. I don’t know who would want to do that, but this would be a good resource for it.

2 comments:

  1. Be glad be VERY glad that there is no manga in your hubbies cbc (comic book collection) cause that is just the most confusing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I attended SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design), where they actually have a sequential art major. This actually is one of the text books they use early on in the major.

    ReplyDelete