Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Buffy Summers


My husband loves Buffy the Vampire Slayer. He has probably spent more money on supporting the Buffy franchise than he has on me in our entire relationship. He admits that not all of the episodes of the television show are very good, but he says that he likes the character development. Personally, I just think he was lonely in high school and wished he had friends with supernatural powers like in the show.

The Buffy character actually began in a movie called Buffy the Vampire Slayer. From what I’ve heard, it was pretty terrible. It was so bad that the creator, Joss Whedon, walked off the set before it was finished. Buffians like to pretend the movie didn’t exist and say that it is not in the Buffy canon. Regardless, the movie introduced the world to a character named Buffy Summers. She was a blonde high school cheerleader who got some supernatural demon powers that she had to use to fight vampires.

The television series began with Buffy moving to a new school. She wasn’t as popular at her new school, and she had to make friends with some nerds. After school, she would fight vampires and other monsters. One of the vampires actually killed her at one point, but a little CPR brought her back to life. Buffy tried to date humans unsuccessfully, like many high school girls. However, she had another option – she could date vampires! Buffy’s first vampire boyfriend was Angel, who went crazy after they consummated their relationship. She ended up killing him.

Buffy didn’t do well in high school because her extra-curricular activities and personal life got in the way. She managed to graduate though and get into a local college, where she continued to fight vampires and unsuccessfully date humans. She ended up dropping out of college and took a job at a fast-food joint to help support her little sister when their mother died. Buffy died again, but she was replaced by a vampire-slaying robot that looked just like her.

Once again, Buffy was brought back to life. Instead of CPR, she was revived using magic. By this time, she gave up on trying to forge a romantic relationship with a human and started dating another vampire. She still fought demons, which was easier since she no longer had any educational obligations.

7 comments:

  1. Buffy is geek awesomeness. You can't be a geek and not love this show. Others, like Stargate, Farscape, and a zillion others (that even I mostly hate) you can get away with not liking.

    But loving Buffy The Vampire Slayer? That's just geek law.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I can't be a geek! Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta say, Buffy is pretty awesome. Is there a difference b/w being a geek and a fanboy/girl? Guess I'm a geek - a friend and I almost went to the Buffy conference one year where PhD's delivered academic papers on Buffy and her exploits. Wait - I think that makes me a nerd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What does that make the PhDs who wrote the papers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew anyone professors who wrote papers about Buffy, but I did know one who wrote about Star Trek!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow.
    I don't know how many years I watched Buffy, but there it is. In one post. In all it's ridiculousness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have to admit, I super love buffy. My husband watched it when it aired originally and introduced me to it in our third year of marraige. I'm obsessed!

    ReplyDelete