Monday, March 29, 2010

We’ve Got Spirit, Yes We Do!

My husband finally brought home The Spirit DVD. I knew that it was yet another comic book-based movie, and even though many of them are terrible I know that fanboys can’t resist. Like many other forms of literature, movies based on comics are usually not nearly as entertaining as the original story. Ash didn’t like Spider-Man, the Batman movie with Adam West, and he refuses to watch Watchmen.


He did like Iron Man though, but I think it was because he doesn’t read Iron Man comics. So, I’ve developed the Iron Man Hypothesis, which means that a fanboy will only enjoy a comic-based live-action movie if he doesn’t read the comics.

Ash put off buying The Spirit for a while, but he gave into temptation. When he watched it, he kept giggling with glee because he recognized some of the actors as comic book guys. He tried to point them out to me at first, but I didn’t know who they were or why they were important, and I think he got tired of explaining their importance to me.

I wasn’t really paying attention to Ash’s mini-lectures or the movie itself, but it was pretty weird. It was about a police officer who was brought back from the dead. He had to wear a blue suit, red tie, and little mask to protect his identity. He was also kind of a slut. Samuel L. Jackson was the antagonist, and they fought each other. There were lots of strange women with even stranger names. There was a knife-lady named Plaster of Paris. The Spirit’s long-lost-love was named Sans Serif (because Times New Roman was a ridiculous name)! I think the movie ends with the Spirit and Samuel L. Jackson fighting over who gets to drink the blood of Hermaphroditus (or some other Greco-Roman figure).

Overall, I don’t think this was Ash’s favorite comic movie, but I think he would have hated it if he read The Spirit comics before purchasing this film.

4 comments:

  1. This movie got trashed by the critics. I haven't seen it.

    Adam West Batman though? That's classic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, Plaster of Paris is so going to be my stripper name when I fall on hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really funny, Christina. Ash said that the names of the women are so bad because it was originally a comic in the paper for children to read. Why is the Spirit so violent and such whore if his target audience is children?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ash was half right. The Spirit did start out in newspapers in the '40s; but in the days before TV, the Sunday comic section was entertainment for the whole family, not aimed exclusively at children. Many comic strips back then (Terry and the Pirates, Li'l Abner, Pogo, Steve Canyon, even Little Orphan Annie at times) were more adult in content. In fact, other than Garfield and Marmaduke, not many newspaper comic strips today are aimed at children (unless you know a grade schooler who really gets into the middle management digs in Dilbert).

    ReplyDelete