Saturday, April 3, 2010

Manhunter and Martian Manhunter


Ash was telling me about the girls-only Birds of Prey super-team, and he mentioned Manhunter was one of the characters. I was pretty confused because I thought Manhunter was the green Superman from Mars. I knew that shape-shifting was one of his superpowers, so I had a nice mental image of him changed into a lady. When I asked Ash about it, he had to explain that Manhunter is a different character from Martian Manhunter. Manhunter is from Earth and is female.

4 comments:

  1. Just to muddy the waters, ask him about the Manhunters, the tobot police that preceded the Green Lanterns. Or Miss Martain of the Teen Titans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay this is likely before your time but all I have stuck in my head now is the song "Manhunt" from the movie Flashdance."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I put Marvin the Martain in with the mix too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. DC Comics also had a male (and non-Martian) Manhunter in a comic in the 1940's, and an updated version of that same character in Detective Comics in the 1970's. There was also a TV show sometime around 1974-75 called Manhunter. It starred Ken Howard as a private detective/bounty hunter in the 1930's. Also at least two books with that title. One an autobiography of a deputy US marshal, the other a biography of Texas Ranger Frank Hamer. It scares me no end that I actually recall all this stuff.

    ReplyDelete