Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Red Doofus Season One

When Ash bought Red Dwarf, he told me that he liked it as a kid and thought it was hilarious. He also said he remembered thinking, “Why isn’t Doctor Who funny too?” Since Ash has Red Dwarf and we only have one television, I get to watch Red Dwarf all the time now.


The show begins with the Red Dwarf space ship flying around with a big crew, a floating computer head, and a hologram that has an “H” stuck to his forehead. There are two incompetent crew members named Lister and Rimmer. Rimmer is the truly incompetent one, and Lister is a lazy slob. Lister also has a smuggled cat on board, which gets him in trouble. For his punishment, Lister is thrown in a time-freeze jail. While Lister is in stasis, Rimmer accidentally causes an explosion that kills everyone onboard except for Lister, who is frozen, and Lister’s cat, which just had kittens.

Three million years later, the computer lets Lister out of the jail when the radiation is gone. To keep him from being lonely since everyone else is dead, the computer brings Rimmer back to “life” as a hologram. They also encounter one of the descendants of Lister’s cat from 3 million years ago. Cat is a narcissistic humanoid with pointy teeth and loud suits. Together, the human, hologram, computer, and cat go on adventures through space.

5 comments:

  1. Dr. Who used to be unintentionally funny because it was so cheesy, but now there's a new Dr. Who series which is no fun.

    I've seen a couple of episodes of Red Dwarf and they were not funny.

    Does Ash like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? I liked it when I was in high school, but it's been years since I've seen the TV show or read the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Dwarf is cool but it went on for bit too many episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Douglas Adams, and we read it together when we were dating. On long car trips, one person would drive and the other we read. We also have the movie. However, I think this is one geeky thing that I like more than the Fanboy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Douglas Adams wrote some episodes of Dr. Who in the 1980s, but I don't know if they're any good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Red Dwarf, it had a goofy appeal to those of us who grew up on The Young Ones. I realize now that this makes me old :)

    ReplyDelete