Friday, October 21, 2011

Proton Pack 10

It’s done! It’s done! It’s finally done! I have finally completed Ash’s proton pack, and I couldn’t be more relieved. This thing took forever to complete, and it was way too much work for a Halloween costume. It even lights up! However, I’m fairly pleased with the results. To try to disguise my papier-mâché medium, I “weathered” the proton pack. I painted silver around the edges, painted black over the top, and then I lightly sanded off the black paint. After that, I re-varnished the scuffed areas.
 

Here is a list of supplies that I used for this project:
  • Cardboard (old boxes)
  • 35 mm film containers
  • Small plastic bottles and lids
  • Tape
  • Glue (Elmer’s, E6000, hot glue, tacky glue, and super glue)
  • Paper towel tubes
  • Little pieces of wood
  • Plastic tube
  • Wooden dowel
  • Papier-mâché (cornstarch and water, newspaper)
  • Metal wire
  • Wood putty
  • Sand paper
  • Gesso
  • Spray paint
  • Acrylic paint
  • Metallic paint
  • Red taillight tape
  • LED pumpkin light
  • Sticky Velcro
  • Wires
  • Flex tubing
  • Straps
  • Screws
  • Washers
  • Pins
  • Nail polish
  • Electrical tape
  • Ribbon cable
  • Matte varnish
Here are my tips for anyone else who wants to create a homemade proton pack for his/her Ghostbusters Halloween costume:
  • Stuff all empty boxes/cavities with newspaper so they don’t slouch when drying.
  • Don’t use spray gesso; use the regular stuff instead.
  • Wrap electrical tape around the handles for durability.
  • Nail polish is great for the little details.
  • E6000 is the best craft glue ever, and it is wonderful for attaching wires.

1 comment: