Saturday, July 27, 2013

Army of Darkness Chainsaw 1

I don’t know what I was thinking, but for some reason I got the idea that I need a chainsaw hand like Bruce Campbell’s in Army of Darkness. Perhaps it was because friends have been asking me what the theme for Halloween will be this year. Maybe I’m a little jealous of my friends who recently went to a zombie festival this summer. It could also very well be that my Army of Darkness is now hung in my living room, and I spend too much time on the sofa.



Anyway, I decided I must have a chainsaw hand. I poked around online to see if I could just buy one, but I could only find Texas Chainsaw Massacre toys at first, which obviously weren’t good enough. Then, I found some people make their own chainsaws out of juice containers. Those looked okay for people who needed to slap together an Ash Halloween costume, but it wasn’t for me. After that, I found that there are people who buy old chainsaws and refit them to make them look screen accurate. While those chainsaw props look awesome, I know that I don’t have the money or resources to make one. I am also pretty scrawny and I don’t think I’d like to haul around a heavy chainsaw. I eventually discovered EvilDeadChainsaws.com, which is pretty amazing. There are handmade prop chainsaws available for sale, and they look great. They also cost over 500 pounds, which I obviously don’t have.

So, I decided to return to my old friend papier-mâché! I thought my husband’s papier-mâché proton pack I made was pretty snazzy, so I decided to make a chainsaw using the same medium. Why did I decide to undertake another big project? Part of it is because I love the Evil Dead movies, and part of it is just to see if can. 

No comments:

Post a Comment