Sunday, July 28, 2013

Army of Darkness Chainsaw 2

To begin my homemade chainsaw project, I tried to find as many pictures as I could of the chainsaw from the movie or unaltered chainsaws so I could see what I was getting into. The chainsaws in Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, and Army of Darkness were all different, and I decided I wanted to make an Army of Darkness style one since that’s my favorite movie.

Chainsaw sketches
After my grueling research of looking up pictures of Bruce Campbell on the internet, I made preliminary sketches to see if this was a project I could handle. When I completed the sketches, I wanted to make scale drawings from 4 different angles. Unfortunately, I had a rough time trying to figure out how large to make my chainsaw prop. Perhaps my chainsaw vocabulary was lacking in my searches, so I just decided to estimate by seeing how large the chainsaw was in comparison to Bruce Campbell. Since I’m a bit shorter, I know my prop will be smaller, but that’s okay because it will be to scale for me.
Chainsaw drawings to scale

I then used my life-sized drawing to create patterns, which I traced onto cardboard. When I made the proton pack, I learned that if I had any hollow spaces they would warp and sag due to the moisture in the paste, so I did my best to avoid empty spaces this time. Instead of creating boxes, I cut out many layers to stack so everything will be solid. It took me quite awhile to cut everything out, but I think it was worth it. Gluing everything together should be a challenge!

Parts for the right side of my chainsaw
Pieces for the left side

1 comment:

  1. Noice! Will be watching for it's future appearance!

    ReplyDelete