Monday, July 29, 2013

Army of Darkness Chainsaw 3

Let the gluing begin!
Cutting out the cardboard pieces for my papier-mâché chainsaw wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. I know I’ll need to cut out more parts later, but I wanted to get the pieces I have ready glued together before I got the chance to lose them.


Check out that powerful blade - it might cause a paper cut!
Since I needed to make sure the interior of my chainsaw is hollow and big enough to for me to put my hand inside, I doubled up the cardboard where I could to try to help maintain the shape because watery papier-mâché paste likes to make cardboard distort. I also had to worry about the chainsaw blade part warping since cardboard likes to curl, so I triple layered the thickest cardboard I could find. I also put the outer pieces back-to-back with the hopes that if they try to curl, they’ll cancel out each other.

Thank goodness for tape
... lots, and lots of tape!




I couldn’t just use glue to hold everything together, so I used tape and some straight pins. I also cut up a few wooden popsicle sticks to create the vent thingy on the side. Since I already had the craft sticks out, and I was way too lazy to search for any new supplies, I wedged 2 sticks inside for a handle to grasp. Once I got everything I had ready assembled, I added the first layer of papier-mâché. I know I’m going to have a lot more work to do, but I think I’m off to a good start!

Behold! The first layer of newspaper!

No comments:

Post a Comment