Friday, July 4, 2014

Doctor Who Belly Dance

Last week, Ash and I went to the convention for the Doctor Who dance show. The convention itself was overcrowded with patrons in nerd t-shirts or unidentifiable costumes and vendors sporting similar attire. The headline panel guy was someone I never heard of before, and there were games in the lobby. I was pleasantly surprised by the overall good hygiene at this event! These good people didn’t smell nearly as bad as the fanboys I’ve encountered at Free Comic Book Day or at Best Buy.

Not all the costumes were unidentifiable though. Amongst the furry headed characters, strange corset costumes, and obscure ninja/wizard getups, I was able to pick out some of the characters. There were many women dressed up as the TARDIS, and a couple little girls wore dalek outfits. The most popular costume for men older than me was Doctor Scarf, and men younger than me dressed up as the Doctor with bug eyes, a pinstriped suit, and tennis shoes.

Bad Wolf Belly Dance group photo by David Barker.

However, the best costumes were worn by the dancers in the Bad Wolf Belly Dance Show. (I’m a little biased because I was in the show and I think the other performers are awesome.) The dance troupe that put on the show is Jewel in the Lotus, and they do fantastic themed performances. The cast included the TARDIS, the Doctor from the movie, Doctor Leather Jacket, Doctor Bug Eyes, Doctor Bow Tie, a weeping angel, a dalek, a pair of ood, the creepy child in the gas mask, and three companions. The show was set up like an episode including the opening and closing theme song, and the parts I got to see were very entertaining and funny!

Behold! I didn't trip on my giant veil! Picture by David Barker.

I was able to finish my giant veil in time for this show, and I think my time and money was worth it. Since it was silk, it looked like a scarf at first, and I unfurled it during the performance to reveal that it was a veil. During my number, Ash sang “Name” by the Goo Goo Dolls because we think we’re clever. He took this opportunity to show off his new hat and scarf as well.

Photo by David Barker.

A pleasant surprise I encountered while at the show was the Timey Wimey Puppet Show. Apparently I am much more entertained by Doctor Who when it is in puppet form as opposed to the real show. The show included a menagerie of puppets, bad puns, “slightly plagiarized” songs, a “who’s on first” bit, and even a regeneration!

If we go again next year, Ash said that all the doctors have to regenerate into new characters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment