Monday, August 4, 2014

Bernini’s Creepy Angels

You can blink if you want. You can trust me.
Italy is home to so many great works of art, which I was fortunate enough to see when I traveled there for a Renaissance art history class. I got to see Artemisia’s Gentileschi’s Judith Slaying Holofernes, Michelangelo’s Sistine Chapel frescoes, and Botticelli’s Birth of Venus for example. I also saw sculptures by Michelangelo including The David.

Go ahead, blink!
I saw many fantastic sculptures, but I also saw many creepy ones. The Venn diagram intersected a few times, and so I observed many fantastic, creepy sculptures! I wasn’t allowed to take photographs in many museums, but I was able to take a few pictures of angel models by Bernini in Rome. The sculptures are clay over wire armatures and were used as models for bronze sculptures, but the white, broken forms are delightfully disturbing. While these angels aren’t weeping, I thought they were worth sharing with my husband and anyone else who wants some Doctor Who nightmare fuel! 

I dare you!

No comments:

Post a Comment